Degree of Regulation
Gift Annuities are exempted from state regulation under Montana Code Annotated, Sections 33-20-701 through 33-20-702
Sections 33-20-703, 33-20-704, and 33-20-705 were repealed on February 28, 2019, as part of HB 66. The updated code will be posted in Fall 2019.
- Years of operation - three years continuous operation (or be the successor or affiliate of an organization in operation for that period of time)
- Minimum assets - $300,000 in net worth or at least $100,000 in unrestricted cash, cash equivalents or marketable securities, exclusive of the assets funding the gift annuity agreement.
- Reserve fund - segregated reserve required.
- Reinsurance permitted - the above requirements are waived if the charity commercially reinsures its gift annuities by a licensed insurance company qualified to do business in Montana.
Links to State Regulations Pages
- Montana Code Annotated, Sections 33-20-701 through 33-20-702
- Sections 33-20-703, 33-20-704, and 33-20-705 were repealed on February 28, 2019, as part of HB 66. The updated code will be posted in Fall 2019.
Insurance Department Contact Information
Examiner Office of the Commissioner of Securities and Insurance
Montana State Auditor’s Office
840 Helena Avenue Helena, MT 59604