Serving the Philanthropic Community Since 1927

Suggested Maximum Gift Annuity Rates, Quality Training Opportunities, and Consumer Protection Advocacy

fb li tw


Membership Renewal

Memberships expired 6/30/18.  If you have not renewed already, login and then click here.

If you have already renewed, when you are logged in, your membership subscription below will read "active."


NOTE: While every effort is made to provide accurate data, neither any persons named in these pages nor the American Council on Gift Annuities guarantees the accuracy of the data presented here.  The user of this information is solely responsible for determining and verifying the accuracy of the data presented here and how it is used by the reader. This information is provided solely as a resource.  This information is supplied by the ACGA State Regulations Committee.

State Regulations

South Dakota

Degree of Regulation

Issuance of charitable gift annuities is regulated under South Dakota Codified Laws Section 58-1-16.

In order to issue gift annuities in the state, a charity must meet the following regulatory requirements:

  • have been in continuous operation for at least 10 years
  • have at least $500,000 in unrestricted cash, cash equivalents or publicly traded securities, exclusive of the assets funding the annuity agreement as of the date of the annuity agreement
  • be a qualified organization (a qualified organization means an organization which is either domiciled in South Dakota and has its principal place of business in South Dakota or is qualified to do business in South Dakota as a foreign corporation, and which is exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code as a charitable organization and regularly files a copy of Federal Form 990 in the Office of the Attorney General or is exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Intern Revenue Code as a religious organization or is exempt as a publicly owned or nonprofit, privately endowed educational institution approved, accredited, or licensed by the state board of education, the north central association of colleges and schools, or an equivalent public authority of the jurisdiction where the institution is located.)

Links to State Regulations Pages

Login or Join to Read More ...